For a complete list of what I’ve done, check out my CV: AKimballCV_Jan_2017
I study speech perception and memory for speech. I also have a special interest in speech prosody.
I’m interested approaching general questions (such as the ones below) using specific experiments.
- What do we remember when we hear speech?
- How does prosody help us to understand each other?
- What parts of prosody do listeners pay attention to?
In order to investigate these questions I use
- Online survey experiments using Amazon Mechanical Turk
- Eyetracking in the visual world paradigm
- analysis of speech corpora
I am a student of Professor Jennifer Cole of the Northwestern University Department of Linguistics (formerly of Linguistics Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign).
I am a past member of Professor Duane Watson‘s Communication and Language Lab in the Psychology Department at the University of Illinois at Urban Champaign (Prof. Watson is now at Vanderbilt University Department of Psychology).
I am also affiliated with the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology through my work with Prof. Cole.